The kilt is finished!!! Whew! It was an endeavor but it was totally worth it! I learned a lot, my customer had a great time at his run, and I got some publicity! I was totally lame at taking pictures throughout the process though and only really thought about it at the end. So…enjoy.
Learning from the last one and doing a little more research on how others were made, I added an elastic band on the back of this one. I secured it on the back from side to side to cinch it a little and help it be a little more flexible for running.
Even though it’s a little “lopsided” I’m pretty impressed with my first real attempt at a single-welt pocket. I know they are not very complicated but it’s the first one that I have made so I was a little nervous! It turned out well I think. I made it 6.5″ long by 4.5″ inches deep so that it could fit an iphone and some cash/cards. The pocket is sewn into the lining band of the front apron.
Totally random but I was pleased with how the “stretch stitch” turned out at the bottom of the pocket. Because this is flannel, it frays very easily so I needed to make sure that the bottom was finished to prevent that from happening as much as possible. I do not have a surger so a friend of mine told me about using this stitch instead and it worked like a charm!
This is the inside of the pleats after I cut the bulk out. One of the patterns I was reading called for a lining on the inside and when I was thinking about it, it made total sense. I did not put this in the previous kilt that I made and I think it might have been more “finished” looking had I taken that step. I cut the extra fabric out of the tops of the pleats to make room for it. Word of wisdom…watch how deep you cut the pleats…it’s easy to leave a hole. Just sayin’…
This is after the lining was in place. I did not finish the seams on the cuts I made in the pleats because the lining covers that so it’s not a problem. This helped it to lay a lot better in the back. and be much more comfortable. Genius!
Pardon the white hook & loop strips! In a perfect world I would have used black but this is what was on hand and it was hidden anyway so it turned out OK.
I always love the pleats when they are laid out! This is probably one of the more tedious and time consuming parts of kilt making. I learned about “setts” and “pleats” and the length of different types of kilts! Being careful to contain the nerd within I will say that some of the stuff I learned about the history of kilt making has been pretty awesome and I am actually looking forward to making the next one!
The back of the kilt with the pleats!
All done! Still had to make the sash and sock flashes at this point but you can see that below.
And here is my model after the Kilt Run at The Flying Shamrock!
I can’t lie and say that I was not pretty freaking excited (and very proud) when I got this picture. This is only the 3rd project I have done from start to finish designed for someone to actually wear!
Goldsboro Daily News posted an awesome photo gallery of the event too! I guess next year I will have to make myself a kilt and participate in the run!
I neglected to take pictures of the sock flashes after I made them but I got a tutorial from the forums at marksthescot.com here.
We did have a small wardrobe malfunction with the sock flashes by the end of the race but I know what happened so I know what to do differently next time.